(214) 357-1782 (817) 496-3447 SE HABLA ESPANOL

If you live 100 miles apart, how do you make a long‐distance parenting plan? Think about the time you lose with your children due to travel. Building parenting time into travel may be a possible solution. Travel time activities can be a chance for you to enhance your relationship with your child. Whenever possible, the receiving parent should accompany the child that is traveling.

Weekend Visitation

The parents live more than 100 miles from each other. Then the noncustodial parent can either exercise the normal weekend visits. Or, they can elect to exercise one weekend per month. It is of their choice. The weekend begins at 6:00 p.m. on that Friday and ending at 6:00 p.m. on the following Sunday.

The noncustodial parent must give 14 days’ written or telephonic notice of the weekend they choose. Additionally, this election for one weekend per month must be made in writing to the parent. It must be done within 90 days after the parties begin to live more than 100 miles apart.  The noncustodial parent does not have to tell the court about the change; only the other parent or conservator.

Spring Break and Summer Visitation

Additionally, the child gets extended time with the noncustodial parent during the summer and every spring break.  If over 100 miles apart, children spend every spring break with the noncustodial parent.  To find out the dates of your child’s spring break, contact your child’s school district. Or, visit the school’s website and search for the school’s calendar.

If the noncustodial parent lives more than 100 miles away from the child, he or she gets an extended summer possession of up to 42 days. The non-custodial parent must give written notice to the custodial parent by April 1 if they want to specify an extended period(s) of summer possession.

The custodial parent gives the non-custodial parent written notice by April 15 of each year. Then the custodial parent shall have possession of the child on any one weekend beginning at 6 p.m. Friday and ending at 6 p.m. on the following Sunday. This can be done during any one extended period of summer possession by the non-custodial parent.

If written notice is not given and the parents live more than 100 miles apart, the non-custodial parent shall have possession from 6 p.m. June 15 through 6 p.m. July 27.

Unless the parents agree to a different pick-up and drop-off point, the child is picked up at the parent’s residence.


If you have a standard possession order and one of you move over one hundred miles away, the non-custodial parent may elect the alternative form of visitation.  If you have any questions about visitation, please do not hesitate to contact your Fort Worth divorce lawyers.